Yam - Jicama
Climbing vine with edible tubers. Tubers eaten raw or cooked into chips. Prune vines to 1.5 meters to encourage tuber growth and reduce production of seed pods (remove flowers unless seed saving). Tubers grow quite large and can be stored for months. Do not eat the seeds or seed pods as they are VERY toxic.
- Time - All year. Dry season best
- Sow - 5cm deep, soak seeds overnight prior to sowing
- Bed type - Raised beds,mature and fertile soil with trellis
- Watering - Best with drip irrigation and mulch
- Position - Full sun
- Harvest 90 days to 210 days